I did not see this coming. To celebrate the city of Winchester, UK, a Monopoly version of the game was released this past week. The game was influenced by the 200 death-versary of our Jane.
From the BBC:
Playing pieces could include the King Alfred the Great Statue and its cathedral, and banknotes in the game could feature a portrait of the author.
Residents can nominate landmarks in the city to fill the spaces on the board.
From the Hampshire Chronicle:
The game will see around 30 leading Winchester landmarks replacing the famous Monopoly addresses like Mayfair and Park Lane. We are inviting the public to help us put this edition together by sending in votes and suggestions. From very initial soundings we have so far had the most wonderful response.
We are absolutely sure this will be one of the best Monopoly editions anywhere every in the world. It may probably prove a case of what is left off rather than on.
The Chance and Community Chest cards will be Winchester themed too. One could send players back three spaces for getting stuck in a Winchester traffic bottleneck. It’s a blank canvas at the moment but it will be ready to be released in time for this Christmas and will hit shop shelves this October.
A lot of great events / festivals / conferences happening this year on our Jane and theBrontë’s and I’ve been updating the calendar like mad. Here is what’s coming up this year:
- March 16 – January 2018 Celebrate 200 Years of Jane Austen Warwick, NY US
- March 23 – 25 Jane Austen and the Arts Plattsburgh, NY US
- March 24 – 25 JASNA Pittsburgh festival Pittsburgh, PA US
- March 29 – 31 Sandition: 200 Years Cambridge, UK
- April 5 – 7 Austen Fest Knoxville, TN US
- April 19 An Evening with Sally Wainwright & Ann Disndale Yorkshire, UK
- May 11 Jane Austen Era Dancing in Middletown, Connecticut
- May 13 – July 24 Jane Austen 200 – Exhibit: The Mysterious Miss Austen Winchester, UK
- June 16 – July 9th Basingstoke Festival Basingstoke, UK
- June 17 – January 8, 2018 Jane Austen by the Sea Brighton, UK
- June 18 An Evening with Lucy Worsley Basingstoke, UK
- June 22 – October 29 Which Jane Austen? Exhibition Oxford, UK
- July Jane Austen statue to be revealed Steventon, UK
- July 4 What’s So Great About Jane Austen?: A Talk at the British Library London, UK
- July 13 – 16 Immortal Austen Adelaide, Australia
- July 14 – 16 Jane Austen Festival Louisville, KY US
- July 20 200 Years Since Jane Austen – Lunch & Talk Bath, UK
- September 8 – 17 The Jane Austen Festival Bath, UK
And as always, if you have more to add to the calendar, please don’t hesitate on getting in touch!