JASNA Denver-Boulder region would like to welcome you to the 2023 AGM.
Settled at the The Gaylord Rockies Resort & Convention Center, the 2023 AGM introduces the theme: “Pride & Prejudice: A Rocky Romance,” which is perfect for the location.
From Elizabeth and Darcy’s rocky beginnings to the possibly rocky futures of Charlotte and Mr. Collins and Lydia and Wickham, difficult relationships are at the heart of Pride and Prejudice. Nature also plays a significant role in the novel as Elizabeth and Jane worry over Lydia’s crisis “walking together in the shrubbery behind the house,” and as Elizabeth shares her eagerness to visit the Lake District—“Adieu to disappointment and spleen. What are men to rocks and mountains?” Lady Catherine, Caroline Bingley, and many others, including Darcy, see themselves as being above others. Their arrogance is attitude with altitude.
The dates for the AGM are October 27–29, 2023.
For more information, check out the AGM website. More details on cost and other information will be coming soon.
JASNA Southwest is proud to present their annual Young Filmmakers Contest.
Previously open to college, graduate, and high school students, the contest has expanded to all filmmakers under 30. You must not work as a director or cinematographer.
This year themes is and Jane Austen inspired.
What to do:
Create a film in five minutes or less on either of the following themes:
- Sense and Sensibility: the novel’s plot, settings or adaptations
- Inspired by Jane Austen: her world, novels, characters, themes or adaptations
For more information, check out the contest flyer and you can also download the entry form.
First prize is $300, second is $200, and third is $100. All winners will receive a years membership to JASNA.
For more information, and to check out past winners, visit the JASNA SW YFC website.
Deadline for submissions is September 15, 2022.
So much has changed since I wrote about Bonnets at Dawn nearly five years ago! Clearly, I did not do my homework last summer when I did a brief update.
There are not one or two podcast covering Austen and Bronte, but over a dozen, each with their own theme. There is a lot to wade through here and I haven’t vetted them all but thanks to their reviews on iTunes and their own social media presence, it seems all are highly favored listens. If you happen to listen to one or several and want to review it, let me know!
P.S. I am not linking to the shows other than their social media a you can find the shows across iTunes, Spotify, and other popular podcast services.
P.P.S. Jane is everywhere!
- Jane Austen Bedtime Stories Each episode covers a chapter in an Austen book and they are currently working their way through Pride and Prejudice. Updated biweekly. Website | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook
- The Jane Austen Podcast A monthly podcast covering all things Austen from her family and friends to her works and influences. Website | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook
- Sips & Sensibility Updated every two weeks, this podcast is hosted by two best friends who talk about all things Jane Austen adaptiations. From Pride, Predjudice & Atlanta to Becoming Jane. Other episodes talk about clothing, actors, and anything else related to the delightfulness of Austen adaptations. Website | Twitter | Instgram | Facebook
- Bonnets at Dawn One of the longest running Austen, and Bronte, podcast with over 150 episodes join the hosts as they talk about everything Austen and Bronte related from their books and lives to other authors, inspirations, time periods, and interviews with renowned scholars. Website | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook
- The Pemberley Podcast Updated weekly, another Austen podcast dedicated to Austen adpatations both movies and book form as well as other related books and movies/tv shows such as Bridgerton. Website | Twitter | Instgram | Facebook
- Manners and Madness: A Jane Austen and David Lynch Podcast Two friends, one who loves both Jane Austen and David Lynch, one who is only passingly familiar with both, explore their bodies of work and the adaptations of that work. Website | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook
- The Thing About Austen A podcast about the material objects and culture that shaped Austen’s works. “Come for historical context and stay for the literary shenanigans.” Website | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook
- First Impression Podcast: Why All Austen Haters Are Wrong A semi-regular podcast that covers all thing Austen and other 19th C authors including Elizabeth Gaskell. Website | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook
- What the Austen? Podcast The hosts dig into Austen’s world both fictional and real from talking about the dreamy characters and references in adaptations. Website | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook
- The Ents and Sensibility Podcast The podcast for people who like Jane Austen…and dragons. Updated semi-regularly. Website | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook
- Pod and Prejudice Two friends, one has read Austen and the other has not, go through Austen’s books chapter by chapter, as well as the adpatations from a feminist perspective. Website | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook
- Reclaiming Jane A biweekly Jane Austen podcast for fans on the margins. Website | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook
- Austenesque Musings Join host Christina Morland on conversations, readings, and interviews related to the Austenesque community. (There doesn’t seem to be much of an online presence for the podcast but it is available on Apple, Spotify, and other popular podcast apps.)
Beginning in late 2018, DC Public Library hosts a monthly Jane Austen Book and Movie club where they cover all things Austen from the books to adaptions and spinoffs and everything in between.
They meet on the first Tuesday of every month at 7PM and the event is currently virtual. You do not need to live in the greater DC area to attend.
For February, the club will be reading Incense and Sensibility by Sonali Dev, which is the third in their The Rajes series which includes Pride, Prejudice and Other Flavors and Recipe for Persuasion.
Visit DCPL’s website for more information about the book club and email email@example.com to join.
I know most of us are eagerly looking forward to season two of Sanditon which is set to begin in March! Masterpiece has put together three podcasts, recorded by the creative team, to give viewers an insider’s look on what is upcoming,
You can find Masterpiece Theater’s podcast on iTunes | Stitcher| RadioPublic or by clinking on the link below.
Transcripts are available.
On March 8, New York Public Library is hosting a virtual online book and film discussion for Emma.
From the event page:
Join the staff at Muhlenberg Library for a film discussion of the 2020 feature Emma. based on the 1815 classic novel by Jane Austen.
Emma is a headstrong, high-spirited, and privileged young woman who severely overestimates her matchmaking abilities as she meddles in the romantic lives of those around her. Hard-won knowledge about the intricacies of love compels her to reconsider her vow to never marry.
Participants will have read the book Emma and watched the 2020 film at home before the discussion.
The event will be held via Google Meets and you can register here.
Jane Austen House has done it again with their yearly Pride and Prejudice day! This year the event will be held from 9AM GMT to 9PM GMT and it will all be online.
The celebratory events include:
- Virtual Book Club: Pride & Prejudice (1pm GMT/ 8am EST) is a lively lunch-break book club, discussing all things Pride & Prejudice!
- The Bennet Sisters’ Guide to Jane Austen’s House (4.30pm GMT/ 11:30 am EST) is a fun, family-friendly introduction to Jane Austen’s House, under the expert guidance of the five Bennet girls – Jane, Lizzy, Mary, Kitty and Lydia… What sort of tour guides will they be?!
- Virtual ‘Pride & Prejudice’ Tour (7pm GMT / 2pm EST) is a very special virtual guided tour of Jane Austen’s House, using the House itself and objects from the collection to reveal the themes, characters and events of Jane Austen’s beloved novel.
Each event costs £5.00 GBP ($7 USD) and will be held over Zoom. All proceeds goes to the museum.
For more information, visit the event page.