If you are working on a Jane Austen project, and you need resources and research from England, you should apply for the JASNA International Visitor Program (IVP). IVP is open to anyone in the US or Canada, and you do not have to be a student or a career academic to apply.
One lucky person will receive:
- A stipend of $3,250 (US dollars), which is to be used to defray the costs of airfare from continental US and Canada to England, housing, travel, and other expenses related to the trip.
- Work two days a week at Austen-related institutions in Chawton performing duties as assigned
- Attend the U.K. Jane Austen Society’s Annual General Meeting in July and provide assistance as requested by the Society
The applications will be evaluated using the following criteria:
- The importance of the project
- The need to access materials in Chawton or nearby
- The viability of the project (in terms of project parameters, time, and resources),
- The useful skills that the applicant brings to JASNA’s Austen-related partners in Chawton.
To be eligible, applicants must be members of JASNA who live in the United States or Canada and have an Austen-related project that requires access to resources in England. You do not have to be a career academic or a student to apply. I keep stressing this point because if you have a personal Austen passion project and you need access to research in Chawtown and related areas, you can apply!
It should be noted,
The IVP Committee is particularly interested in applicants whose Austen-related projects and interests match the needs of one of our Chawton partners: Jane Austen’s House Museum, Chawton House Library, and St. Nicholas Church. Find out more about each institution’s needs and past IVP projects below.
To apply, download the application fact sheet and form from the IVP website. The decision will be made on or before February 15, 2019.