Here are 7 ways to celebrate Jane Austen’s birthday this month!
Lest we forget, happy 243!
- Watch an adaptation of one of her movies. Here is a list of what’s currently streaming on Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon!
- Read one of her books!
- Read one of the endless numbers of Austen inspired stories.
- Learn to speak hand fan to woo and dissuade suitors. The art of the hand fan has been around for several millennia, as early as the ancient Egyptians, and is thought to have come to Europe via Asia in the 16th century. It started its peak during the late 1700s with the epoch happening in the late Victorian era. The use of fans for communication would have not been out of place in the Bingley or de Bourgh households since the fans were made of costly materials and considered only attainable by those with status. Can you imagine Caroline Bingley attempting to woo Darcy via a fan? She probably would! Sotheby’s has a really good article along with instructions on using a hand fan.
- Binge watch The Lizzie Bennett Diaries or Emma Approved
- Play a game! There is a wealth of games available for our favorite writer including Good Society, Jane Austen’s Matchmaker, and the Facebook game, Jane Austen Manors to name but a few.
- Live your best life the Jane Austen way!