One of the big downsides of the lockdown has been the inability to meet with friends, old and new, at events. Thankfully, a lot of concerts, plays, and movies have have gone virtual to fill that gap.
With that in mind, a great event is coming up sponsored by the Eastern Pennsylvania JASNA region.
Behold! Jane Austen Mystery Theater!
On September 11 from 3P – 5P EST, twelve actors will read through Jane Austen inspired plays. Here’s the mystery: only the actors will know what play or character they are doing before they preform. But! There will be no rehearsal or walk through. They will be going in stone cold.
If you’ve every had your heart on becoming a thespian, look no further! The organizers are looking for volunteers to preform. When you register for the event, and the event is free, you’ll have the chance to volunteer.
For more information, visit the event page or register here.
The 2020 Bronte conference on Anne Bronte will now take place on September 4, 2021.
From the event website:
The conference will celebrate the life and work of Anne Brontë in her bicentenary year, and presents an ideal opportunity to challenge the long-held perception that the youngest Brontë sibling was the least talented, and lacked the genius of her sisters.
The plenary speakers are:
- Professor Kathryn Hughes, literary journalist, historian, and Guardian columnist
- Jane Sellars MBE, co-author of the seminal study The Art of the Brontes
- £40 Adult
- £35 Bronte Society Members
- £20 16-25 years old/people in receipt of Personal Independence Payment and people in receipt of a means-tested benefit
The conference ticket allows access to all the conference sessions between 9am and 8pm on Saturday 4 September.
Visit the event website for more information.
September 10 – 19
- Jane Austen Festival (UK)
- Jane Austen Mystery Theater (Virtual)
- Jane Austen and the Art of Social Distancing (UK)
- Jane Austen’s House Virtual Tour (Virtual)
September 19 – April 10, 2022
Sundays with Jane Eyre (Virtual)
- Mark Schenker discusses the Victorian Novel: Jane Eyre (1847) by Charlotte Brontë (Virtual)
It’s that time of year again that many Janeites most look forward to: the yearly AGM!
This year it will be held in Chicago, sponsored by the JASNA – Greater Chicago Area. The theme is Jane Austen in the Arts.
From the website:
Each of Jane Austen’s novels features the arts in some form—from the domestic female accomplishments of playing an instrument, singing, and drawing as practiced by Emma Woodhouse, to the elaborate but private preparations for a performance of Lover’s Vows in Mansfield Park, to the public concert at the Assembly Rooms in Persuasion. We invite you to explore and experience this fascinating topic in the beautiful, exciting surroundings of the city of Chicago.
This year’s plenary speakers are:
- Gillian Dow, former executive director of Chawton House
- Devoney Looser, Austen scholar and author of The Making of Jane Austen
- Desmond Shawe-Taylor, surveyor of the Queen’s Pictures since 2005
- Maestro Stephen Alltop and Soprano Josefien Stoppelenburg will delight us with a concert that features compositions mentioned in Austen’s writing during the Sunday brunch
Registration is $299 for the attendee with a surcharge of $209 if you bring a companion.
For more information, visit the AGM’s website.
Note: Some Amazon videos have “This video is currently unavailable
to watch in your location” for some of the shows. This means that Amazon has pulled the video from their collection but I’m keeping the link incase it comes back.