“But still, I would think of him: I would cherish his image in my mind; and treasure every word, look, and gesture that my memory could retain; and brood over his excellences and his peculiarities, and, in fact, all I had seen, heard, or imagined respecting him.” Anges Grey by Anne Bronte
“Intelligence and proper education will give you independence of spirit.” Charlotte Bronte
An email has been sent this morning from the coordinator of the 2019 AGM that hotels are now available to book for the AGM in Williamsburg, VA. The AGM is from October 4-6, 2019.
For the first time in AGM history, two hotels are open for reservation.
Per the email,
Reservations at the JASNA conference rate, ranging from $138 to $231 per night, may be made using the link on the AGM hotel page, or simply cut and paste the following into your web browser: https://book.passkey.com/go/
39753. If you are prompted to enter an access code, use Jane234.
This year’s AGM theme is “200 Years of Northanger Abbey” exploring its humour, horror, and history of the age. There will also be discussions on wide range of topics covering “…the idea of the picturesque, the popularity of the Gothic novel genre, the history of the 12th Light Dragoons, the economics of importing India muslin versus producing muslin in England, even the conversion of Catholic Church buildings into private residences in the centuries after the Dissolution, and more.” JASNA promises it will be a fascinating and exciting AGM.
Tickets have yet to go on sale for the AGM itself. If you’re a JASNA member, make sure you’re subscribing JASNA emails and also check the AGM’s website for further details.
“She was stronger alone; and her own good sense so well supported her, that her firmness was as unshaken, her appearance of cheerfulness as invariable, as, with regrets so poignant and so fresh, it was possible for them to be.” Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
What’s happening this week in the Austen and Bronte universes:‘
- Wuthering Heights: Heathcliff’s horror – Fogknife
- Why Anne Brontë’s The Tenant of Wildfell Hall is a forgotten gem – The National Student
- A healthy look at Patrick – Keighley News
- Bronte sisters statue idea put forward at parish council meeting – Keighley News
- ‘She out-darked us’: What it’s like to walk the moors with Emily Bronte, Yorkshire’s most famous goth – The Telegraph
- Saturday Night Social: Look at These Pictures of Jane Austen’s Relatives – Jezebel
- Fishergate Local History Society to reveal Fulford’s Jane Austen links – The York Press
- 19 Jane Austen Adaptations That Are Almost As Good As The Books – BuzzFeed
- Austen’s local pleasure gardens among six parks sharing £13.8m lottery funding – Express & Star
- Scarborough clifftop gardens and Jane Austen’s maze win the lottery – The Yorkshire Post
- Jane Austen News – Issue 149– Jane Austen Centre